Tuesday, January 21, 2014


As I finished reading the book slaughterhouse, I couldn’t help but feel seriously let down and disappointed by this country and the elected officials. The book discussed further dynamics of the slaughterhouse and how each employee and animal was affected. The people who work in slaughterhouses are worth less than the animals they kill. Illegal immigrants being treated like pre civil-war era slaves. It was honestly insane to read. I couldn’t help but wonder if the employees could have stood up for themselves a little bit more. It seemed that most of them just grew to accept these working conditions and came to terms with the fact that nothing could be changed. It is fucked up to think that for a mere 7 bucks an hour, people are being forced to be knee deep in feces and intestines, soil themselves due to lack of bathroom breaks, and risk their lives and health everyday so that the American population can continue to eat themselves stupid with the contaminated meat being forced down our throats. According to frontline, there are a reported 76 million cases of food borne illness in the United States every , of that; there are 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths. I thought this was crazy, that is almost ¼ of the whole population. Something should be done about this immediately. So many lives are being jeopardized by this disgusting industry; while I understand you cannot completely eliminate the meat industry, you can do things in a humane, clean and civil way. It's really sad to know that most of the government appointed officials either turned a blind eye or were told to shut up and not worry about
it. This is mostly due to the slaughterhouses financial and sometime political status. So basically as long as you have enough money, you can do whatever the hell you want. (I know who would have guessed?).This book seriously makes me question whether or not I want to continue to eat meat. I was expecting a book about animals and how badly they suffer and after learning about the inhumane treatment of the employees and the unethical handling and examination of the meat, my perspective on the meat industry has completely altered.

3 comments:

  1. It is hard to believe that the employees are worth less than the animals being slaughtered. I was reading Fast Food Nation and it had a small chapter on slaughter houses and it only went into small detail about what the conditions looked like and even that bothered me. I agree, I wonder if any of the employees have stood up for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book I love is called Methland - about the disintegration of a town called Oelwein in Iowa, mostly following the purchase of a chicken-packing factory by the huge food conglomerate Tyson. When this company took over, they slashed the workers' wages from $18 an hour to $6. People started working several shifts to make up for the lost income - and also started using and manufacturing methamphetamine so they wouldn't have to sleep or pee! It is fascinating to me how food production ties into so many other issues in our society. We really have an unsustainable way of life built on injustice and inequality. This dates back to slavery, of course - and while we don't keep slaves any longer, we still abuse people and then blame them (and imprison them) for their problems. Not cool. I enjoyed your post and I hope you continue to use your voice for good and to help bring about change!

    ReplyDelete