Sunday, April 6, 2014

Food Satire



I thought the video game presentation was pretty interesting, I never really thought food had any kind of influence on games.  The grand theft auto commercials were the ones I found to be most memorable. The more commercials we watched, the less humorous they became. I’m sure I’m not the only one who saw the bitter truth behind the ruthless satire presented in the commercials.  I tried to find other examples like the ones we saw but I found it to be kind of difficult unless you knew exactly what you were searching for. The connection between media and video games is obvious enough and I think they both correspond together very strongly.  We are probably exposed to about 100 different kinds of food advertisements on a daily basis; each restaurant/brand trying using the same antic seen in GTA to attract as many consumers as they can so they can make a profit. The great thing about Satire is it can be used both ways. I recently saw this satire video portraying a donkey and elephant having a food fight. This was put together back in April of 2012 by the international relief and development association Oxfam; in hopes of convincing congress to reform the food aid in the country as the farm bill was expiring later that year. Although it wasn’t an exampled I found from a video game, I think that food influences are around us every day, no matter what media outlet we choose to use. I thought the message behind the commercial was very significant and I’ve attached it below so you guys can check it out too!



2 comments:

  1. I really like this clip! It is a really good example of how the people in power have plenty to eat so they can afford to play with their food while others barely have enough for one meal alone.

    ReplyDelete